Sommelier / Wine Department Manager
Come join our management team as we grow with new concepts and positions. Bern's, Harry Waugh Dessert Room, Haven all have exciting opportunities for front of house positions.
Our sommeliers, directors, and managers are responsible for overseeing all facets of daily operations in the front of the house. These responsibilities include but are not limited to product presentation, guest experience and the guidance and support of servers, bartenders, runners, SA's and hosts. Most importantly the candidate must have a passion for hospitality and a drive to increase their knowledge in every aspect of this position.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Excellent food and beverage knowledge
- Continue to build a wine program that adds quality, value and enhances the guest experience.
- Maintaining the quality of the wine list for the establishment to qualify for a wine spectator award.
- Provide continuous wine training, tasting and education to ensure staff wine knowledge is achieved.
- During service, ensure to promote, educate, and sell wine to our guests.
- Continuously taste, research and remain active and relevant in the restaurant and wine industries.
- Establish and maintain a positive and productive working relationship with vendors, all restaurant management and ownership.
- Provide continuous training and leadership to develop and grow team.
- Meet or exceed budget for wine sales.
- Adhere to all company policies as it pertains to personal appearance, attendance and conduct stated in our company handbook.
- Ensure that wine lists are updated daily so staff and guests are aware of any changes.
- Ensure that all POS systems, inventory systems, wine lists and any other information pertinent to the selling of wine remain accurate and up to date and are understood and adhered to by the team.
- Ensure all invoices are correctly processed on time.
- Organize and complete the administrative opening and closing duties (including but not limited to: creation of floor plans, menus, employee check in, employee cash outs, bank close out etc.)
- Ensure DOL/Health Department compliance as it pertains to the operation.
- Create new regulars for the restaurant with your strong hospitality skills.
- Open availability: daytime, evenings, weekends and holidays. Available to open/close the restaurant as needed.
- Ensure that the Wine Inventory process is completed accurately, on time and according to our business policies and procedures.
- Ability to stand for 10-12 hour shifts, lift up to 50 lbs and walk up and down stairs.
- Assist all employees and determines how to best utilize staff for each shift.
- Manage all employees to maintain highest quality standards through hands on leadership.
- Assist in all facets of staff hiring, development, counseling, promotion, discipline and termination.
- Promote proper safety and sanitary practices while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Ensure compliance with operational standards and company policies as well as federal, state and local laws.
- Actively participate as a member of the management team.
- Respond to guest comments and complaints and seek every opportunity to build a lasting guest experience while educating and empowering others to act in a similar capacity.
- Set excellent guest service standards and work ethic examples.
- Demonstrate knowledge of entire menu including ingredients and preparation.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 2 years of previous dining experience. (preferably fine dining)
- Minimum 2 years purchasing experiencing
- Strong and stable work history.
- Work in a fast paced environment while maintaining and projecting professionalism, internally and externally, at all times.
- Lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Time Management
- Proficient wine knowledge base.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, late nights and holidays.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Basic computer proficiency including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint.
- Indesign Menu Programing
- Knowledge of IOS operating system
- proof of Social Security Card
Benefits and Perks
- Closed Every Monday 2023
- Closed Holidays 2023
- Gasparilla Invasion January 28, 2023
- Memorial Day May 29, 2023
- Labor Day September 4, 2023
- Christmas Day December 25, 2023
- Holiday Bonus Shift Pay for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve
- Tenured Accrual for Paid Time Off Begins On Your Date of Hire; Leave, Vacation, Emergencies and Sick Days (64 to 160 hours)
- Custom Supplemental Insurance Coverages Through AFLAC
- Life Insurance Policy (10-, 20-, & 30-year terms)
- Short Term Disability Income Insurance
- Accident Advantage On/Off Job Insurance
- Cancer Protection Insurance
- Critical Care Protection Insurance
- Hospital Choice Insurance
- Bereavement Pay for Loss of Immediate Family, Extended Family, and Pets
- Referral Bonus Program of up to $500/Referral
- Family First Discounts
- 50% off entire bill at Haven restaurant & bar for employee and up to 3 guests
- 50% off food and non-alcoholic drinks at Bern’s Steak House for employee and up to 3 guests
- 50% off food and non-alcoholic drinks at the Harry Waugh Dessert Room for employee and up to 3 guests
- 20% off total purchase at Bern’s Fine Wines & Spirits retail store
- 20% off entire bill for all meal periods at Élevage SOHO Kitchen & Bar for employee
- 20% off Spa Services at Spa Evangeline for employee
- 20% off Epicurean Theatre classes per online purchase
- Marriott Friends and Family Discount for hotel accommodations
- Complimentary Manager Shift Meal from the Restaurant’s Menu
- Free, Secure, Covered Parking
- Continued Education through Management Training Courses
- Educational Travel and Experiences for some Culinary, Wine and Spirits Positions
- Custom Packaging Health Plan Options with Tenure Based Employer Contribution
- Internal Career Growth Opportunities
- 401K Employer Match of 25% Up to the First 6%
- 100% Education Reimbursement Program for Approved Courses and Certifications with Supplemental Reimbursement for Travel and Materials
The Company values a diverse workforce with all the unique qualities that individuals of various backgrounds and experiences offer our organization. We are committed to providing opportunities and developing employees to their fullest potential without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, marital status, military status, disability, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law.